Try buying D-Mannose in CVS, Walmart or Amazon and you quickly realize that it is very difficult to choose among all available options, this is when my D-Mannose review can help you to see the forest behind the trees.
Read next: One strange reason why your physician never heard of D-Mannose
The problem when comparing D-Mannose brands is that manufacturers list weight in ounces, grams, milligrams, capsules etc. and it becomes very hard to figure out how much you are really paying for D-Mannose.
On top of that, many brands include additional ingredients, that affects how much pure D-Mannose you get per dose.
I reviewed 5 most popular brands of D-Mannose currently sold on Amazon and took in consideration the following:
- Purity of the ingredients (with our without additives).
- Cost: how much per day you are going to spend, if you take D-Mannose daily for prevention (2000 mg per day).
- I only included in this review brands that had at the moment of review 4.5 star and higher customer satisfaction rating (this could change with time).
- Only included brands that had no less than hundred reviews per product.
These are results of reviewing Top 5 brands of D-Mannose from Amazon.
D-Mannose review: powder is the best option
First place goes to pure D-Mannose powder by Bulk Supplements (250 grams).
This is why:
- No additives, pure D-Mannose powder.
- One of the cheapest options when you look at how much pure D-Mannose you get per dollar.
- 250 grams of powder will last you for 125 days of prevention. More than four months! Given that it’s good for couple years since the manufacturing date, this is the best “bang for the buck”.
Trust me, you do not want to run out of D-Mannose. And if you need to go from prevention to the treatment dose protocol, you want to have enough.
This brand provides you plenty of D-Mannose for the best price on the market. However, the packaging is not super convenient, because the zip-lock never truly closes tight again once opened. I have to use a paper clip to keep it closed. Also, if I’m taking D-Mannose with me on a trip, I would normally portion 2-3 ounces and take just that in a regular zip-lock or re-use a bottle from another supplement.
Second place goes to NOW D-Mannose powder, 6 oz bottle.
- No additives, pure D-Mannose powder.
- It is more expensive per dose than the brand above, but it comes in a convenient bottle that is easy to take with you when traveling.
- This bottle (6 oz) will last you 80 days if using prevention dose. Not bad! Almost three months.
Why you don’t need D-Mannose capsules
NOW brand has D-Mannose in capsules as well. The question is why do you need it?
- You are overpaying for labor that goes into packaging D-Mannose powder into the capsules.
- Moreover, you have to consume all extra “inert” ingredients that are required in order to capsulate the powder (Cellulose, rice flour, stearic acid, Magnesium Stearate and Silica).
- D-Mannose tastes like sugar. There is no reason to hide it in a pill.
- It is not a rocket science to grab some D-Mannose sugar with a tea spoon. A little more or a little less won’t make much difference. You do not have to be precise.
- I hate swallowing capsules. Why do you need to swallow pills if you can simply drink sweet water?
Nonetheless, Third place goes to NOW brand has D-Mannose is capsules because it is a very popular and well reviewed product.
Yes, you are paying almost 3 times more per dose when compared to powder, but if you absolutely must have D-Mannose in capsules, then this brand is a good option.
- 120 capsules will last you for approximately 30 days of prevention
Forth place goes to Solaray D-Mannose with Cranactin.
Adding cranberry extract won’t do much. Cranberry pills and cranberry juice have been proven useless. This supplement also has vitamin C. Vitamin C is actually a great way to lower your urine pH and decrease inflammation of the bladder. But guess what, you are better of buying it separately to get a bigger, more potent dose than the one cramped in to the pills.
- This bottle provides enough D-Mannose to use for about 30 days of prevention.
Last on my list is PRO Women (mainly combo of probiotics and D-Mannose).
While probiotics are super important, this supplement does not disclose which strains are being used. On top of that, you only get 5 billion CFUs, which is twice less than probiotic experts recommend for potency. Unfortunately, the rest of the space in a capsule is taken by useless cranberry extract and fillers. Amount of D-Mannose in these capsules is negligible (250 mg, which is 4 times less than you need). Therefore, if you are buying it because of D-Mannose, then you are fooling yourself. If you are buying probiotics, buy the ones that disclose their strains and with at least 10 billion CFUs.
- This bottle buys you four (4!) days of prevention dose 🙂 Yes, it’s not a typo!
I hope this D-Mannose review will help you to make an informed decision.
- D-Mannose is The Active Ingredient that you need to prevent UTI naturally, don’t pay for cranberry extract.
- Don’t buy capsules.
- If you wan to supplement your treatment with additional natural options (probiotics, vitamin C, herbal extracts) buy them separately!
Read next: here is how to pick right probiotic.